V&R Mapping

V&R is digital mapping is a way to provide information about digital platforms and how a person uses these platforms. When creating this map (picture below), I thought I wouldn’t have a lot of platforms to put on this map, but it turned out to be a lot. What I also found surprising is that for some platforms where I thought I only used for personal reasons, I found myself using for institutional purposes as well. As a practicing teacher, I am always looking for new ideas and new strategies to help my students and YouTube, Tiktok and Pinterest are great tools when looking for inspiration for ideas. I did not realize how much I used these platforms to help add to my learning and knowledge.

Tori’s V&R Map

As a teacher, I have to be careful with what I post and always aware of what it is even if it is on a private and personal account. Even when settings are put to private, they are never really private because there is always a way someone can find information, or a photo can be shared that was only intended for friends and family to see. Employers could search up my name to see if any content shows up that can hinder my opportunity for a job or provide more. When working as a teacher, I am the one that represents the school, and it is important that my employer doesn’t fin content that can negatively impact my potential when being considered for a job. Digital platforms can be a scary thing, but also can be very beneficial when expanding my professional learning network. When doing this, I can share units I did with my students, ideas with other teachers and connect with like minded teachers around the world.

Add yours

1. Hi Tori, I agree with your thought process. I also thought at first I would not have many platforms to map but before I knew it my V&R map was filled. It is interesting to see the similarities and differences between classmates. Many platforms and applications vary depending on their major. For example, we both are education majors and use common platforms. I found many of our classmates use platforms such as LinkedIn to develop their professional development which is uncommon in our profession. Being a teacher and having a strong dignity identity can create a positive and a negative impact. I am also aware of what I’m posting and the audience it is intended for; thus tending to be more a visitor on many platforms. Do you believe teachers are held to a higher standard than most professions? Should teachers be able to post without restrictions?