Power of our PLN and sharing our knowledge.

Our Personal Learning Network can create power for individuals and community. Through social media, individuals can share their own story firsthand through video, or podcast, or a tweet. This is more effective because you get the story from the exact source. In his interview, Baker says how when stories are told by a 3rd or even a second source, it could lose its meaning and power. How technology is now, gives us the power to reach out and tell our own individual stories. Especially right now in the Indigenous community where we can learn about the elders’ stories through media. As an educator learning through a PLN is very important, especially since Covid guests couldn’t come into our school physically, but we were able to integrate lessons where they visited online and through video. Although it is not exactly the same as in person, it led to us having the ability to have people share their stories and knowledge if they were far away. It also created a new outlet for the Indigenous communities to share their story without the pressure of having to be in a school.

I am someone who doesn’t mind using social media, but I prefer talking and collaborating in person. A PLN is a great way to connect with others and learn stories if you don’t have that community connection, PLNs can raise awareness. As an educator there is an abundant amount of resources that contribute to growth in my learning. I believe that creating a PLN through twitter or reading other teacher blogs is a great way to start or even continue a topic of conversation. In his interview, Jesse mentioned how he has learned so much through online sources about the Indigenous community and I agree. My experience in school I did not really learn a lot but through social media, I learned more and was able to hear stories from individuals and their firsthand knowledge. This realization how continuous learning is and how our opportunity for our knowledge to grow more accessible due to technology.

For true change, people have to be willing to be vulnerable.

Brad Baker

Social media is a tool to educate the masses and tell stories. Brad Baker said a phrase that really stood out to me “For true change, people have to be willing to be vulnerable” (Baker, 2021). This is a big take away for me because it shows how out PLN can be big and powerful in sharing stories, but with education, we have to be aware of those who think differently; to educate,  we have to be patient, listen and vulnerable about our own knowledge to have a open and honest discussion. What I have learned from last week is that people don’t want to learn what they already know, and everyone has biases, so it is important to know both sides but also be patient about your own side. When people are sharing their stories and knowledge, they are being vulnerable by sharing their experiences. As an educator this is always something that will be stuck with me because no matter if it is something I agree with or disagree, the person sharing is explaining a part of them with me so I need to be listener and patient through these experiences.

Miller, J. [Miller]. (2021, June 10). Brad Baker EDCI 338. [Video]. Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5z8iHxW2n4

Add yours

1. Farakhnoz Shukurzoda

June 18, 2021 — 2:55 pm

Hi Tori! I just read your post regarding this week blog and it seemed to me very positive and promising about your views on social media and the power of PLN. I like how you pointed out several quotes from the sources, as well noted as to how people generally prefer to stick to their own opinions instead of listening and being patient with others’ thoughts. Your advice on following firsthand sources are helpful. Also, including stories of Indigenous people is very relevant to the current events as it brings awareness to us, who are reading your blog.

2. Hi Tori,

Great post this week! I like how you highlighted Brad Baker’s point about willing to be vulnerable when engaging on social media. I think this is so important to consider, especially if you plan to use your PLN to work towards change. I appreciate how you mentioned that with being an educator, you keep in mind the idea of being patient and actively listening when someone is being vulnerable. This is so important to remember, thank you for discussing this point!

3. Hi Tori,

I really enjoyed reading your blog this week! I thought it was so insightful when you stated that” How technology is now, gives us the power to reach out and tell our own individual stories. ” and then discussed the importance of learning from indigenous communities, particularly after the recent tragic events that have occured.

I also thought it was incredibly insightful when you shared Brad Baker’s quote when he stated that “For true change, people have to be willing to be vulnerable”. This quote is one that truly resonates with me. In my life, especially during testing times, I believe that vulnerability, empathy, and compassion can truly cause immense change for one’s self and for the world.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post!